Water Conservation Methods / Conserving is No Longer an Option
Water conservation should not be considered an option any longer. Current circumstances require our full attention if we hope to thrive as a civilization. If these statements sound dramatic, it is because much of the world is currently suffering due to a lack of clean water.
Statistics around the reveal that our fresh water supply is practically nonexistent. That is why it is so important to seek out, find and start using all the innovative water conservation solutions and methods that are available today.
Whether you live in Australia or China or the US, it is time to wake up and take responsiblity. It is easy to practice water conservation in the home, but there is more to be done. Our world needs help on a commercial level as well so that our waste can be controlled in such areas as agriculture and irrigation.
As the population of the world grows exponentially, our drinkable water supply remains at about 1 percent of the total water present on Earth.
-Photo to the left is by A.J. French.-
These statistics may not seem real to you if you are fortunate to live in an area that has the resources to supply your needs. But the truth is millions of living souls are suffering because of a lack of this vital resource.
Water consumption, whether it be in the household, through industry and manufacturing or in agriculture, must be given the consideration it deserves. And although special programs are conducted every year to increase the awareness of conservation, we as citizens of this planet, need to participate in water conserving activities if we hope to sustain our way of life.
Water Conservation Methods / For the Household
Huge amounts of water are lost every year due to unattended faucet leaks, using outdated appliances, excessive clothes washing, showering, washing cars, gardening, and other everyday household activities.
Water Conservation Methods / What You Can Do
• Turn off water while you are brushing your teeth and open it when you need to rinse your mouth.
• Take shallow baths and plug the drain before you run water. Keep showers short with pressure at low force. Re-use bath water to water your lawn or shrubs or for heavy cleaning jobs like floors or cars.
• Install Dual Flush toilets in the home… more on this below.
• Buy the washing machines or dishwashers that have AAA ratings and that are ranked as energy efficient.
• Use mulch around the trees and plants in your lawn. This keeps in moisture longer so that use will need less water to keep your lawn and plants healthy.
Water Conservation Methods / The Matter of Irrigation
There is also a need to conserve water while irrigating land. Many people are still using obsolete methods for irrigation that waste huge amounts of water.
Some solutions to stop water loss in irrigation are:
• Buy improved irrigation hardware and equipment that is optimized for water conservation while covering larger areas at the same time. Pressurized systems, improved furrows and sprinklers can be used in farms to save huge amounts of water.
• Devise proper scheduling systems and improved water management techniques to irrigate depending upon the type of crops, predictions about the weather and type of land.
• Use better canal systems since they contribute towards water conservation. Saved water can be used later.
Water Conservation Methods / How Industries Can Help
Water conservation also needs to be addressed at an industrial level.
Some of the ways that can be implemented in industries to conserve water are:
• Conduct regular surveys and examinations to find out the ways for conserving water. Also conduct awareness programs at an employee level.
• Don’t use water where it is unnecessary like, washing driveways, washing trucks frequently, etc. These things can be done with less water or without using any water.
• It is a good idea to install high-pressure but low volume spray nozzles on spray washers.
• Reuse water when it is discharged from various processes.
• Check the efficiency of your water equipment on regular basis.
I hope that by following these methods you will begin to examine your level of water consumption. By doing so, the adverse effects that others are already suffering from will begin to recede. Spread awareness by acting with consideration.
Water Conservation Methods / Dual Flush
The United States, like Australia and many other countries are experiencing more erratic weather that places a significant strain on water resources.
This can no longer just be ignored. Any house hold that still uses an old toilet flushing cistern, should give very serious thought to converting to dual flush.
A dual flush system is probably the single most significant water saving invention to date.
The Dual Flush toilet that was developed 25 years ago in Australia is such a success story that it has been mandatory throughout Australia for many years, and most of the country has been retrofitted with Dual
Flush, significantly reducing the strain on their fresh water supply.
They are now available around the world from different manufacturers.
Water Conservation Methods / Toilet Tank Bank
• Worry-free water savings for the lifetime of the toilet. Displaces
0.8 gallons per flush.
• Easy-to-fill, patented air lock and fill valve – no water evaporation
• The Tank Bank™ is the easiest device to use to save water – fill to
top, snap to close and hang in toilet tank
• Every flush saves water with maintenance-free toilet tank
displacement bag; up to 0.8 gallons per flush!
• Constructed of non-corrosive materials that resist microbes & fungal growth
• Anti-evaporation snap/airlock means the bag never needs refilling
and prevents odours.
To find toilet bank tanks go to Green Logic.
Water Conservation Methods / Sources
For more information on water conservation follow these links: